Locally Led Working Group Meeting Information
What is a Locally Led Working Group Meeting?
The need for local leadership in natural resources management was one of the most important factors leading to the establishment of Indiana conservation districts. Conservation districts were created as the local focal point for coordinating and delivering technical assistance, funding, and information to private land managers and policy makers. Over the years federal, state, and local governments have channeled assistance through conservation districts to address virtually every aspect of natural resource conservation.
The locally-led process, which is resource driven rather than program driven, is used to guide and coordinate federal, state, and local conservation efforts.
Local Working Groups set local priorities, providing recommendations to the NRCS District and State Conservationist's on local natural resource priorities and criteria for conservation activities and programs.
Under the Farm Bill, Local Working Groups remain a subcommittee of the State Technical Committee, a diverse group of conservation partners that make recommendations on conservation activities and programs to the State Conservationist. The Local Working Groups’ role is to provide similar recommendations and advice as the State Technical Committee, but with a focus on the resource priorities of the local community. At a minimum, the following individuals are to be invited to participate in the Local Working Group:
• Member(s) of the SWCD board
• NRCS Designated Conservationist
• Agricultural producers representing the variety of crops and livestock operations in the county, including but not limited to commodity crop producers, specialty crop producers, confined animal facility producers, pastured livestock producers, historically underserved producers etc. These individuals are not required to have conservation expertise.
• Non-industrial private forest landowners
• Member(s) of the County Farm Service Agency (FSA) Committee
• Cooperative Extension (board members or managers)
• Other Federal and State government representatives and professionals representing relevant agricultural and conservation interests such as:
o Indiana Department of Natural Resources – Division of Fish and Wildlife
o Indiana Department of Natural Resources – Division of Forestry
o Indiana State Department of Agriculture
o Indiana Department of Environmental Management – Watershed Specialists
o Private contractors and consultants
o Non-government organizations (livestock groups, commodity groups, not-for-profit groups, etc.)
• State or local elected or appointed officials
• US Fish & Wildlife Service Biologists
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
• The Environmental Protection Agency
• FSA County Executive Director or designee
• Individuals with experience in natural resource conservation subjects specific to historically underserved groups and individuals (i.e., minorities, women, economically and socially disadvantaged, etc.)
Please note that if an NRCS employee, immediate family member or individual in a covered relationship is planning to participate in conservation programs, contact your Area Conservationist to discuss ethics and alternatives.
The Local Working Group meeting is considered a public meeting and will follow standard state open meeting laws, like the requirements of SWCD Board Meetings.
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE MEETING?
The meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 6:00 pm in the rear section of the Lucille Sadler Room of the Morgan County Administration Building, located at 180 S. Main Street, Martinsville, Indiana 46151
How can you participate?
1. Click on the link and fill out the online ranking sheet and submit it through Google Documents. It should only take a few moments. It will be tallied and evaluated during the Locally Led Working Group Meeting. Please fill out this survey by September 11, 2023. https://forms.gle/sSe9mdx72b9vTkCU7
2. Attend the meeting virtually through the Zoom platform. Please login using this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8629260346
3. Please join us for the meeting, which will be held in the rear section of the Lucille Sadler Room of the Morgan County Administration building, located at 180 S. Main Street, Suite 002, Martinsville, IN 46151 at 6:30 pm. We would love to hear your opinion and concerns!
If you have any questions, please call the SWCD office at 765-349-2060